ARLINGTON, Va. — Sept. 7, 2023 — Knowland, the world’s leading provider of data-as-a-service insights on meetings and events for hospitality, reports overall U.S. meeting and event volume for August 2023 was up 21 percent over August 2022. This data is sourced from Knowland’s sales intelligence platform designed to help hoteliers build and protect a hotel’s revenue base.
Las Vegas shined among the top 25 markets with 44 percent year-over-year growth for event volume in August. The leading industry segments driving its growth were National Association and Technology. With the excitement over The Sphere at The Venetian and the Formula 1 Las Vegas Grand Prix in November, Transportation and Construction have emerged as the top 2019 comeback industry segments for 2023, with a 366 percent and 250 percent recapture of 2019 meetings and events volume year-to-date, respectively. The average number of attendees for Vegas was 439, and the meeting space used was over 12,000 sq ft.
• Year-over-year comparison – August 2023 event volume increased 21 percent over August 2022.
• Top five markets (by event volume growth) – Las Vegas led with National Association meetings, followed by Technology. The following four markets, Nashville, Los Angeles, Seattle, and Chicago, rounded out the top five growth markets for year-over-year volume growth. Below is additional insight into the top drivers for these markets.
• Las Vegas: National Association, Technology, Entertainment/Media, Training/Education, Wedding.
• Nashville: National Association, Technology, HealthCare, Manufacturing, and Training/Education.
• Los Angeles-Long Beach: Education, Training/Education, Technology, Charity/Non-Profit, and Wedding.
• Seattle: National Association, Technology, Wedding, Education, HealthCare.
• Chicago: National Association, Wedding, Technology, Education, and Healthcare
• Top markets (by percentage growth) – The top overall U.S. markets by year-over-year growth in meetings and events were Greensboro-Winston Salem, NC; Michigan South; Mobile, AL; Madison, WI; and Norfolk-Virginia Beach, VA.
About the Data: This data is provided to help hoteliers still building momentum gain insight into the top locations selected by today’s meeting planners. This information about the leading industry drivers provides a clear picture of those groups that are returning to the meeting and event space. Insights presented are a result of the analysis of meetings and events data acquired through Knowland data collection and aggregation methods, including field reporting and automated methods of customer and non-customer data collection in primary, secondary, and tertiary markets, as well as its large historical database.