In celebration of its 125th anniversary, hotel held “giveback” contest and drew for grand prize winner
NEW ORLEANS – (Sept. 6, 2019) – The Roosevelt New Orleans, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel, is excited to announce Leigh Guglielmo, a New Orleans local, as the winner of its Historical Giveback Contest in honor of the hotel’s 125th anniversary. Guests were encouraged to bring in any and all items they took from the hotel in the past. The deadline to return an item was July 1. Guglielmo has won a seven-night stay in a Presidential Suite, private dinners cooked by the hotel’s executive chef, spa experiences and more. More than 70 items were returned as part of the contest.
“I really want to thank everyone that’s from this area for celebrating with us for the last 125 years,” said General Manager Tod Chambers. “We’ve always felt responsible here to make this hotel the hotel for the city of New Orleans. We’re excited about our future and want everyone to feel welcome in their second home.”
The contest received national attention, and the hotel received a unique array of items, including:
- Collage of “Roosevelt Reminiscing Uncle Benny” who stayed in suite 370 for 50 years. He had his suite enlarged and a wall knocked out, to expand the kitchen and to allow for his gin rummy table/games.
- A candelabra from “Maw-Maw,” queen of the Mardi Gras Krewe of Venus in 1955. The krewe’s ball was held in The Blue Room. Maw-Maw and her husband, the King, sat at a table with the silver candelabra as its centerpiece. During the commotion of the ball, Maw-Maw stuck the candelabra under her dress and walked off with it.
- Signed poster by the Supremes, estimated to be from 1972.
- 100th Anniversary Banquet Menu from 1912.
- Original hand-drawn blueprints from the hotel’s expansion in 1923-24 (added Tower 2 on the Roosevelt Way side of the building).
- A table with artwork on top highlighting five famous drinks: The Sazerac, Ramos Gin Fizz, Bayou Swizzle, Big Mamou and the Jambalaya.
Additional details with photos and descriptions on returned items can be found here.