Data recently released by the National Travel and Tourism Office (NTTO) show that in March 2023:
U.S.-International air traffic passenger enplanements (1) totaled:
19.687 million in March 2023, up 41.7% compared to March 2022, with enplanements reaching 92.3% of pre-pandemic March 2019 volume.
Originating Non-Stop Air Travel in March 2023
- Non-U.S. Citizen Air Passenger Arrivals to the United States from foreign countries totaled:
- 4.285 million in March 2023, up 48.2% compared to March 2022.
- 82.4% of pre-pandemic March 2019 volume.
On a related note, overseas visitor arrivals (2) (with stays of 1-night or more in the United States and visiting under certain visa types) totaled 2.158 million in March 2023, the seventeenth consecutive month overseas visitor arrivals exceeded 1.0 million. March overseas visitor arrivals reached 74.8% of pre-pandemic March 2019 volume, up from 68.8% in February 2022.
(See March I-94 Preliminary Release https://www.trade.gov/i-94-arrivals-program)
- U.S. Citizen Air Passenger Departures from the United States to foreign countries totaled:
- 5.642 million in March 2023, up 38.8% compared to March 2022 and exceeding March 2019 volume by 4.9%.
World Region Highlights in February 2023 (APIS/I-92 arrivals + departures)
- Total air passenger travel (arrivals and departures) between the United States and other countries were led by Mexico 3.550 million, Canada 2.632 million, the United Kingdom 1.466 million, the Dominican Republic 917,000 and Germany 735,000.
- International Regional air travel to/from the United States:
- Europe totaled 4.797 million passengers, up 58.7% over March 2022, and down only (-8.8%) compared to March 2019.
- South/Central America/Caribbean totaled 5.208 million, up 18.6% over March 2022, and down only (-2.6%) compared to March 2019.
- Asia totaled 1.893 million passengers, up 261.6% over March 2022, but still down (-39.2%) compared to March 2019.
- Top U.S. Ports serving international locations were New York (JFK) 2.600 million, Miami (MIA) 2.009 million, Los Angeles (LAX) 1.699 million, Newark (EWR) 1.109 million and Chicago (ORD) 1.031 million.
- Top Foreign Ports serving U.S. locations were London Heathrow (LHR) 1.311 million, Cancun (CUN) 1.245 million, Toronto (YYZ) 1.079 million, Mexico City (MEX) 628,000 and Paris (CGD) 588,000.
(1) APIS/ “I-92” arrivals + departures)
(2) ADIS/I-94 (with stays of 1-night or more in the United States and visiting under certain visa types
Interested in an interactive data visualization of these statistics? Please visit our APIS/I-92 International Air Passenger Monitor for a more comprehensive and customizable experience.