Air Passenger Enplanements Up 17% Year Over Year in July 2023
Air Passenger Travel Between the United States and Europe Up 12% in July 2023
Data recently released by the National Travel and Tourism Office (NTTO) show that in July 2023:
U.S.-international air traffic passenger enplanements1 totaled:
24.729 million in July 2023, up 16.8% compared to July 2022, with enplanements reaching 97.8% of pre-pandemic July 2019 volume.
Originating Non-Stop Air Travel in July 2023
- Non-U.S. citizen air passenger arrivals to the United States from foreign countries totaled:
- 5.065 million in July 2023, up 19.4% compared to July 2022.
- This represents 83.6% of pre-pandemic July 2019 volume.
On a related note, overseas visitor arrivals2 totaled 3.138 million in July 2023, the twenty-first consecutive month overseas visitor arrivals exceeded 1.0 million. July overseas visitor arrivals reached 78.4% of pre-pandemic July 2019 volume, up from 73.2% in June 2023. (See June I-94 Advance Release https://www.trade.gov/i-94-arrivals-program)
- U.S. citizen air passenger departures from the United States to foreign countries totaled:
- 7.099 million in July 2023, up 14.0% compared to July 2022 and exceeding July 2019 volume by 9.9%.
World Region Highlights in July 2023 (APIS/I-92 arrivals + departures)
- Total air passenger travel (arrivals and departures) between the United States and other countries were led by Mexico (3.743 million), Canada (2.894 million), the United Kingdom (2.181 million), the Dominican Republic (1.147 million), and Germany (1.120 million).
- International regional air travel to/from the United States:
- Europe totaled 7.759 million passengers, up 11.8% over July 2022, and down only (-6.1%) compared to July 2019.
- South/Central America/Caribbean totaled 6.050 million, up 15.9% over July 2022, and up 8.5% compared to July 2019.
- Asia totaled 2.317 million passengers, up 79.3% over July 2022, but still down (-32.8%) compared to July 2019.
- Top U.S. Ports serving international locations were New York (JFK) 3.477 million, Los Angeles (LAX) 2.277 million, Miami (MIA) 2.129 million, Newark (EWR) 1.539 million and San Francisco (SFO) 1.487 million.
- Top Foreign Ports serving U.S. locations were London Heathrow (LHR) 1.787 million, Cancun (CUN) 1.302 million, Toronto (YYZ) 1.113 million, Paris (CDG) 866,000, and Mexico City (MEX) 754,000.
1 APIS/ “I-92” (arrivals + departures)
2 ADIS/I-94 (with stays of 1-night or more in the United States and visiting under certain visa types)
Interested in an interactive data visualization of these statistics? Please visit our APIS/I-92 International Air Passenger Monitor for a more comprehensive and customizable experience.