Air Passenger Enplanements Up 68% YOY in January 2023
Air Passenger Travel Between the United States and Europe up 87% in January 2023
Data recently released by the National Travel and Tourism Office (NTTO) show that in January 2023:
U.S.-International air traffic passenger enplanements (APIS/I-92 arrivals + departures) totaled:
18.038 million, up 68% compared to January 2022, with enplanements reaching 91% of pre-pandemic January 2019 volume.
Originating Non-Stop Air Travel in January 2023
- Non-U.S. Citizen Air Passenger Arrivals to the United States from foreign countries totaled:
- 4.034 million, up 76% compared to January 2022 and 76% compared to pre-pandemic January 2019 volume.
On a related note, overseas visitor arrivals (with stays of 1-night or more in the United States and visiting under certain visa types) (ADIS/ I-94) totaled 1.930 million in January 2023, the fifteenth consecutive month overseas visitor arrivals exceeded 1.0 million. January overseas visitor arrivals reached 67% of pre-pandemic January 2019 volume, down from 71% in December 2022. (See January I-94 Preliminary Advance Release https://www.trade.gov/i-94-arrivals-program)
- U.S. Citizen Air Passenger Departures from the United States to foreign countries totaled:
- 4.283 million, up 75% compared to January 2022 and exceeding January 2019 volume by 7.0%.
World Region Highlights in January 2023 (APIS/I-92 arrivals + departures)
- Total air passenger travel (arrivals and departures) between the United States and other countries were led iby:
- Mexico 3.438 million, Canada 2.172 million, the United Kingdom 1.164 million, the Dominican Republic 836,000 and Germany 644,000.
- International regional air travel to/from the United States :
- Europe: 3.877 million passengers, up 87% over January 2022, and down only (-13%) compared to January 2019.
- South/Central America/Caribbean: 5.082 million, up 32% over January 2022, and down only (-3%) compared to January 2019.
- Top U.S. Ports serving international locations were New York (JFK) 2.360 million, Miami (MIA) 2.045 million, Los Angeles (LAX) 1.601 million, Newark (EWR) 1.004 million and San Francisco (SFO) 963,000.
- Top foreign ports serving U.S. locations were Cancun (CUN) 1.129 million, London Heathrow (LHR) 1.038 million, Toronto (YYZ) 894,000, Mexico City (MEX) 660,000 and Paris (CDG) 511,000.
Interested in an interactive data visualization of these statistics? Please visit our APIS/I-92 International Air Passenger Monitor for a more comprehensive and customizable experience.
Check out ITA’s new Visual Data Center providing a one-stop-shop where you can find a variety of data analysis at your fingertips. Discover industry insights and trends in an easy-to-understand format that will help simplify complex robust data points to provide valuable insights that can impact your business. You can interact with the data to easily view different patterns and trends or download the data at no cost for further analysis or use.