WASHINGTON--The Historic Hotels of America 2013 Annual Awards recipients were announced at The Pfister Hotel (1893) on Thursday, November 21. The Historic Hotels of America 2013 Annual Awards gala dinner was sponsored by Buena Vista Winery and American Express®. Awards were presented to an audience of owners, senior management, invited media, industry leaders, and representatives from the finest historic hotels across America. Honors were given in multiple categories ranging from Hotelier of the Year and Hotel Historian of the Year to Sustainability Champion and Best Historic Restaurant in Conjunction with a Historic Hotel.
Each year, these awards honor, encourage, and recognize the most exemplary historic hotels, hoteliers, and leadership practices. The Historic Hotels of America Hotel of the Year Award is the highest honor awarded. The Best Historic Hotel awards are given to historic hotels demonstrating the highest contribution to furthering the celebration of history and demonstrating leadership and innovation in one of four categories ranging from under 75 to 400 guest rooms.
Of a strong group of nominees, the following Historic Hotels of America hotels and hoteliers were honored with these prestigious awards:
Historic Hotels of America New Member of the Year
- The Jefferson, Washington, D.C. (1923) Washington, D.C.
Historic Hotelier of the Year
- Dennis Costello, Historic Hotel Bethlehem (1922) Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Best Small Historic Inn/Hotel (Under 75 Guest Rooms)
- The Wort Hotel (1941) Jackson Hole, Wyoming
Best Historic Hotel (75-200 Guest Rooms)
- Gettysburg Hotel, Est. 1797 Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
Best Historic Hotel (200-400 Guest Rooms)
- Ojai Valley Inn & Spa (1923) Ojai, California
Best Historic Hotel (Over 400 Guest Rooms)
- Grand Hotel Marriott Resort, Golf Club & Spa (1847) Point Clear, Alabama
Best City Center Historic Hotel
- The Willard InterContinental (1850) Washington, D.C.
Best Historic Resort
- French Lick Resort (1845) French Lick, Indiana
Hotel Historian of the Year
- Bob Tagatz, Grand Hotel (1887) Mackinac Island, Michigan
Legendary Family Historic Hoteliers of the Year
- The Morrissey Family, The Saint Paul Hotel (1910) St. Paul, Minnesota
Best Historic Restaurant in Conjunction with a Historic Hotel
- Plume at The Jefferson, Washington, D.C., (1923) Washington, D.C.
Best Social Media of a Historic Hotel
- The Stanley (1909) Estes Park, Colorado
Historic Hotels of America Sustainability Champion
- Timberline Lodge (1938) Timberline, Oregon
Historic Hotels of America Ambassador of the Year (Quarter Century Service)
- George Moore, The Battle House Renaissance Mobile Hotel & Spa (1852) Mobile, Alabama
Historic Hotels of America Heritage Award
- The Marcus Family, The Pfister Hotel (1893) Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Historic Hotels of America Community Leadership Award
- The Lenox (1900) Boston, Massachusetts
Historic Hotels of America Lifetime Achievement Award
- Thierry Roch, Former Executive Director, Historic Hotels of America
The hotels were nominated by fellow members, past award recipients, and honorees. Award winners were judiciously chosen by the Historic Hotels of America selection committee.
"Historic Hotels of America is proud to announce the 2013 Annual Award winners," said Lawrence Horwitz, Executive Director of Historic Hotels of America and Historic Hotels Worldwide. "These historic hotels and hoteliers are the finest across America. They inspire travelers to discover and experience the treasures where America's history was written."
As the Official Program of the National Trust for Historic Preservation, Historic Hotels of America provides the recognition to travelers, civic leaders, and the global cultural, heritage, and historic travel market that the member hotels are among the finest historic hotels across America.