Data recently released by the National Travel and Tourism Office (NTTO) show that in August 2022:
International Arrivals to the United States
- Total non-U.S. resident international visitor volume to the United States of 5,697,087 increased 158.6% compared to August 2021 and rose to 70.2% of the pre-COVID total visitor volume reported for August 2019, up from the prior month’s 67.6%.
- Overseas visitor volume to the United States of 2,625,678 increased 172.6% from August 2021.
- August 2022 was the seventeenth consecutive month that total non-U.S. resident international arrivals to the United States increased on a year-over-year (YOY) basis.
- Of the top 20 tourist generating countries to the United States, China (PRC) (with 75,912 visitors), Ecuador (with 73,359 visitors), and Colombia (with 34,575 visitors) were the only countries that reported a decrease in visitor volume in August 2022 compared to August 2021, with a -17.5%, -16.0%, and a -13.1% change respectively.
- The largest number of international visitor arrivals was from Canada (1,794,400), Mexico (1,277,009), the United Kingdom (371,994), Germany (177,029) and India (163,572). Combined, these top 5 source markets accounted for 66.4% of total international arrivals.
International Departures from the United States
- Total U.S. citizen international visitor departures from the United States of 7,610,285 increased 53% compared to August 2021 and were 81% of total departures in pre-pandemic August 2019.
- August 2022 was the seventeenth consecutive month that total U.S. citizen international visitor departures from the United States increased on a year-over-year basis.
- Mexico recorded the largest outbound visitor volume of 2,769,329 (36.4% of total departures for August and was 41.9% year-to-date (YTD). Canada recorded a significant year-over-year (YOY) increase of 249.7%.
- Combined YTD, Mexico (21,997,635) and the Caribbean (6,390,750) accounted for 54.1% of total U.S. citizen international visitor departures, down 1.1 percentage points from July 2022 YTD.
- Europe YTD (10,203,581), the second largest outbound visitor volume, increased 289% YOY, accounting for 19.4% of all departures. This was up 0.3 percentage points from a 19.1% share in July 2022 YTD.
Want to view interactive data visualization of these statistics? Please visit our ADIS/I-94 Visitor Arrivals Monitors (Country of Residence) and (Country of Citizenship) and our I-92/APIS International Air Passenger Monitor for a more comprehensive and customizable experience!