IHG to Launch New Midscale Brand With Details to Be Revealed Later This Year
June 21, 2017 12:36pm
InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG®), one of the world’s leading global hotel companies, revealed plans to launch a new, high-quality midscale brand at its 2017 Americas Conference this week in Las Vegas. It will target more than 14 million guests in a vastly underserved segment of the U.S. midscale market, estimated to be worth $20 billion in annual industry revenues. This brand will champion the traveler who wants a hotel stay that finally meets their expectations for the type of hospitality they value most – the basics done exceptionally well – at a price point about $10-15 less than IHG’s industry-leading Holiday Inn Express® brand.
Richard Solomons, Chief Executive Officer, IHG, said: “This new brand builds on IHG’s leading position in the midscale segment alongside Holiday Inn and Holiday Inn Express. It addresses the needs of a rapidly growing and underserved segment and we believe it will shape the future of this unique midscale category. This launch will extend our track record of innovation and brand development, with a new offering that is right for our guests, our owners and our shareholders.”
This brand was created around a set of fundamental values: taking a new approach to designing everyday travel; appreciating the value of guests’ every hard-earned dollar and being direct, honest and clear. The name, logo and other brand elements will be announced later this year. Initial features of this brand include:
· Rooms designed for sound sleep: Delivering a best-in-class sleep experience, rooms were intentionally designed for reliable rest. These guests value an investment in high quality mattress and linens, specific design to help reduce noise and intuitive in-room climate control. Guest rooms will be a mix of 220 square foot king (65 percent) and 275 square foot queen/queen (35 percent), featuring a built-in work space, open closet storage with luggage shelf, a great shower and a smart TV.
· Hotel amenities: Hotels will feature intimate and inviting public spaces, including a mix of seating designed perfectly for travelers looking to spend 30-45 minutes in the lobby working, socializing or enjoying a complimentary breakfast. Optional amenities include a pool and porte cochere based upon market dynamics.
· Leading technology: Hotels will leverage the latest in technology. This includes a state-of-the-art, cloud ¬based next generation reservation system, mobile check-in and check-out and IHG Connect® enhanced Wi-Fi with the fastest speed in the industry and auto log-in recognition at all IHG hotels. Rooms will also feature enhanced in-room entertainment options which allows guests to cast content from their smart devices to in-room TVs.
· Fresh, no-nonsense, complimentary breakfast: A select number of high-quality, brand-name options will be offered to guests to grab and go or enjoy in the lobby, alongside a premium coffee experience to start the day off right. The offering provides owners with a simple, low-cost operating model. Hotels will also offer a well-curated market for food, beverage and personal items.
· Hotel build: Hotels will be designed for new build construction to provide exactly what guests need, consistently, on an average lot size of approximately 1.5 acres. The prototype design features 95-100 keys with a minimum of three stories.
Elie Maalouf, Chief Executive Officer, IHG, Americas, continued: “These travelers will often spend hours researching hotels to find a great and affordable lodging experience in this segment. When they can’t find it, they compromise, accepting lower standards and an inconsistent experience to get the price they want. We will change that with this new brand by delivering a superior guest experience that doesn’t currently exist at this price point. It’s a game changer and a huge opportunity to build scale, strong brand awareness and great financial performance for our owners.”
IHG expects the brand to be franchise-ready in the fall of 2017 with the first hotels beginning construction in early 2018 and opening in 2019. Initial development will be focused in the U.S. market. Working hand-in-hand with its owner advisory board, the brand’s development has been guided by feedback from owners and operators to help ensure these new hotels are efficient to build, operate and maintain.
IHG® (InterContinental Hotels Group) [LON:IHG, NYSE:IHG (ADRs)] is a global organisation with a broad portfolio of hotel brands, including InterContinental® Hotels & Resorts, Kimpton® Hotels & Restaurants, Hotel Indigo®, EVEN® Hotels, HUALUXE® Hotels and Resorts, Crowne Plaza® Hotels & Resorts, Holiday Inn®, Holiday Inn Express®, Holiday Inn Club Vacations®, Holiday Inn Resort®, Staybridge Suites® and Candlewood Suites®.
IHG franchises, leases, manages or owns nearly 5,200 hotels and 770,000 guest rooms in almost 100 countries, with nearly 1,500 hotels in its development pipeline. IHG also manages IHG® Rewards Club, our global loyalty programme, which has more than 100 million enrolled members.
InterContinental Hotels Group PLC is the Group’s holding company and is incorporated in Great Britain and registered in England and Wales. More than 350,000 people work across IHG’s hotels and corporate offices globally.
Visit www.ihg.com for hotel information and reservations and www.ihgrewardsclub.com for more on IHG Rewards Club. For our latest news, visit: www.ihgplc.com/media and follow us on social media at: www.twitter.com/ihg, www.facebook.com/ihg and www.youtube.com/ihgplc.
Contact: Neil Hirsch
+1 (770) 604 5775
IHG® Adds Senior Leadership to Europe With Appointments of Mario Maxeiner and Eric Viale
Primefield Property & IHG Sign for New Hotel Indigo Adelaide Markets, Set to Open in 2020
IHG and SAMHI Inaugurate the Holiday Inn Express Gurgaon Sector 50 as the First of 14 Properties to Be Rebranded as HIE Hotels
IHG® and Champion Hotels Open avid hotel Oklahoma City-Quail Springs Marking Brand's First Property
IHG and Precinct Propteries Sign Agreement for 244-Room InterContinental Auckland Set to Open in 2022
IHG and Shimao Group Plan Q4 2018 Opening of InterContinental Shanghai Wonderland
Lotus Trans Travel and IHG Sign Portfolio Deal for Four Holiday Inn Hotels in India
Martyn Barnes to Bring IHG's New voco™ Brand to Australia's Yarra Valley in 2021
Marriott, Hilton, and IHG Top Franchise Companies and Brands in U.S. Construction Pipeline
IHG Opens First Hotel Indigo in Mississippi, The Hotel Indigo®-Hattiesburg
IHG Signs With Mulpha Australia Limited for Management and Rebranding of 166-Room Hayman Island, by InterContinental Opening in 2019
IHG Appoints Angelo Zuccala as General Manager for InterContinental Sofia
IHG and Ninety Four Feet Partner to Debut New Zealand's First Hotel Idigo With 2021 Opening of Hotel Indigo Auckland
IHG and TSUKADA GLOBAL HOLDINGS to Debut Kimpton Brand in Japan With 2020 Opening of Kimpton Tokyo Shinjuku
IHG Signs With Pearl Grand Tower Hotel for InterContinental® Colombo Slated for 2019 Opening in Sri Lanka
IHG Completes Acquisition of 51% Stake in Regent Hotels & Resorts for $39 Million
IHG Signs With Hotel Marina Agra for Holiday Inn Agra MG Road in India
Kimpton Saint George Opens in Toronto With General Manager Bertrand Mangeot at the Helm
IHG Opens 459-Key InterContinental® Phu Quoc Long Beach Resort in Vietnam
U.S. Project-Based Business Travel Spend Topped $45 Billion in 2017
Please login or register to post a comment.