Hotel Laundry – Don’t throw money down the drain!
February 8, 2016 12:24pm
One of the largest operational expenses for hotels is back-of-house laundry. Hotel operators know that these services utilize significant gas and water utilities, use valuable hotel manpower and also lead to more frequent linen replacement. What can a hotel do to cut down on these costs? See below!
1. Offer An Opt-Out Program – This is a very simple step that reduces utility and manpower costs without negatively affecting the guest experience. Management can instate an opt-out program for guest to choose if their bed linen and towels are washed each day. The AHLA estimates that this type of program reduces total laundry volume by 17% on average and also extends linen life.
2. Select High Speed Extraction Washers – Hotel owners can use high-speed extraction washers which dramatically reduce the amount of water used in a wash cycle. In addition, these types of washers cut down on linen dry times as linens enter the dry cycle with much less moisture.
3. Select Dryers With Moisture Sensors – Dryers with this capability determine when a load of laundry is dry and automatically turn off the cycle. Without this feature, dryers often run unnecessarily for extra hours wasting energy and putting unnecessary wear on linens.
4. Utilize Cold Water Washing – New cold water washing processes can reduce the water used per wash while also reducing your linen replacement. Some sources show that this can result in up to a 40% reduction in total water used compared to traditional wash cycles. This also means less water to heat translating to significant savings on a hotel’s utility bill.
5. Train Staff – Hotel staff can get too comfortable with simply throwing in dirty linens and towels, hitting start, and walking away. Managers must spend time training laundry personnel on the features of all appliances or they will not be utilized to their full potential.
6. Select Low Maintenance Linens – Utilize linens that are easier to wash. This will cut down on water used for laundering and reduce dry times.
7. Maintain Appliances – Laundry equipment requires regular maintenance and cleaning to continually operate at its highest efficiency. Maintenance personnel should check machine wells, inspect for leaks and clear filters on a regular basis.
The key to saving time and money on laundry operations is making those changes that make good financial business sense WITHOUT negatively affecting the overall guest experience for your customers. Guests will always expect clean, soft, white linens and towels, but how you go about delivering this is up to you!
Tags: hotel laundry,
Even if you’ve been successful in your hotel business for years, the hotel business is one that is always changing… and changing FAST. As Darwin was famously quoted, “It is not the strongest of the species that survives, but rather, that which is most adaptable to change.” If you don’t learn how to constantly adapt to market, technology and consumer changes, then you’re going to be left behind by others in the industry that do.
Here at hotels university we love anything and everything hotels. We are a dynamic hotel advisory group that helps hotel owners and developers save money, attract more customers, stand out from the competition, and grow their businesses. Our group of contributors is made up of hotel owners, operators, designers, contractors, and franchise representatives.
hotels university is a hub for the strategies, tools, and tips you need to plan, design, construct, operate and renovate your hotel to its highest potential. Here you will find regular posts, interviews and lots of great content which will give you an edge on your competition.
Contact: Blair Hildahl
Over 30 Hotels and Commercial Laundries Each Have Saved More Than One Million Gallons of Water Using Xeros Polymer Cleaning
Xeros Signs Million-Dollar-Deal with eLaundry.com to Bring Eco-Friendly Near-Waterless Laundry Services to New York City
Energy Savings Often Overlooked When Buying Commercial Laundry Equipment
Why Hotel’s Laundry Services are Responsible for High Utility Costs
Utility Companies Join Xeros Incentive Program for Hotels & Commercial Laundries
Xeros Now Offering Utility Saving, High Performance Dryers with Shorter Dry Times
Survey Says: Hospitality Sector Failing to Calculate Full Cost of Laundry
Video Report: InvoTech Demonstrates Automated Linen Operations using UHF-RFID Technology
InvoTech Systems Celebrates 20 Years of Growth, Innovation and Service to Clients Around the World
Please login or register to post a comment.