DUBAI, UNITED ARAB EMIRATES – (May 8, 2014) – FRHI Hotels & Resorts (FRHI), the leading hotel management company that operates the luxury and upper upscale hotel brands Raffles Hotels & Resorts, Fairmont Hotels & Resorts and Swissôtel Hotels & Resorts, today announced at Arabian Travel Market (ATM) the development of seven new hotels in the burgeoning Middle East, Africa and India (MEAI) region. The addition of these new hotels is an important step towards FRHI’s goal of doubling its regional footprint by 2020.
Currently, FRHI has 19 existing hotels in the MEAI region. The new developments are set to open in key strategic markets, including the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Egypt and Nigeria.
“Our newly announced projects represent significant growth for FRHI and support our global expansion strategy of growing by 50 per cent over the next five years,” stated Michael Glennie, FRHI’s president & chief operating officer. “Increasing the footprint of our leading hotel brands, as well as the continued expansion of our residential business across the MEAI region is critical to our success. We look forward to successfully opening these new hotels and to exploring future development opportunities throughout the region.”
FRHI’s 2020 expansion strategy for the MEAI region includes seven new hotel developments. These include:
Kingdom of Saudi Arabia – two new hotels will complement an existing presence in Makkah (the iconic Makkah Clock Royal Tower, Raffles Makkah Palace, and the Swissôtel Makkah), as well as the previously announced Fairmont Riyadh, Business Gate, set to open in 2015. United Arab Emirates – with four properties operating in Dubai and Abu Dhabi, and more in development (Fairmont Ajman, Fairmont Fujairah, and Fairmont Abu Dhabi Marina), FRHI is bringing the Swissôtel brand to its growing UAE portfolio in an emerging area of Dubai. Egypt – to complement existing properties in Cairo, FRHI will partner with Citystars on an exceptional flagship project in Sharm el Sheikh. Three new hotels and a signature golf course will be built in Egypt’s Red Sea coastal city. The final phase of FRHI’s Sharm el Sheikh project development covering 7.5 million sqm of land will include an extensive residential development with multiple lagoons and a boutique desert hotel with 80 tent-like rooms. Contributing to the infrastructure of the area, a school and tennis academy will also be built, as well as a natural reserve of mangroves planted for environmental preservation.
- Raffles Jeddah – With an enviable location, and inspired by rich Arab heritage, the luxury hotel will feature 180 guestrooms and 188 branded residences. The property will offer special wedding suites for newlyweds, as well as a great number of recreational options such as a library, penthouse-level entertainment suite, and a 1,200 square meter (12,900, square foot) spa and fitness club featuring an indoor ladies-only pool. The hotel will also have state-of-the-art event and meeting facilities, including a 1,000 square meter (10,750 square foot) ballroom overlooking the corniche and 750 square meters (8,000 square feet) of meeting space.
- Swissôtel Jeddah – Located in the bustling Palestine Road, the hotel will have 350 guestrooms, executive rooms and suites, a unique variety of innovative and trendy dining options, 2,500 square meters (26,900 square feet) of meeting and conference space, and a 1,200 square meter (12,900 square foot) Pürovel Spa and Sport center featuring indoor and outdoor pools.
- Swissôtel Jaddaf – enjoying an excellent location just minutes away from the Dubai International Airport and close to the Princess Haya Children’s Hospital, the property will feature 276 guestrooms and suites, 1,600 square meters (17,200 square feet) of ultra-contemporary meeting and conference space and a Pürovel Spa & Sport, which has philosophy that is inspired by the Alpine seasons. The five star Swissotel will anchor the Al Jaddaf mixed use development envisioned by Aabar Properties to also include two other hotels, serviced apartments, residential and retail facilities.
- Fairmont Citystars Sharm el Sheikh – Part of the first phase, including extensive retail, residential apartments and the largest Crystal Lagoon in the world. The Fairmont is scheduled to open in 2015, includes a Fairmont hotel and residential development with 457 guestrooms and 232 residences.
- Swissôtel Citystars Sharm el Sheikh — The project’s second phase includes the first Swissôtel in Egypt with 400 guestrooms and suites overlooking the Crystal Lagoon alongside retail space and 400 residences due to open in 2016.
- Raffles Citystars Sharm el Sheikh – A luxury offering of 250 guestrooms and 50 residential villas facing a private lagoon, the hotel will boast a 2,500 square meter (26,900 square foot) banquet and conference island, retail souks, a “La Croisette” leisure and retail promenade, and a Colin Montgomery 18-hole championship golf course.
Nigeria – Lagos, Nigeria’s commercial capital and the second fastest-growing city in Africa, represents an important business hub. The city will soon welcome its first Fairmont property. Added Glennie, “This is the first of what we hope will be many exciting announcements for FRHI in the year ahead, as we continue to focus on opening new luxury hotels and growing our brands in key strategic markets.”
- Fairmont Lagos – Featuring 220 guestrooms and suites, 50 residences, a Fairmont Gold lounge and an art gallery, the property will showcase a diversity of handmade arts and crafts including beautifully carved wooden furniture and statues alongside colorful paintings. A 3,800 square meter (41,000 square foot) meeting and conference area will cater to the needs of the business community, while a 1,800 square meter (19,400 square foot) Willow Stream Spa will offer authentic treatment options and an extensive menu of relaxation programming.