By Karan Iyer
Technology and other trends are creating big ripples in the hospitality industry. When you know what is working and what is not, it allows you to serve your customers better. Let us look at 5 important trends in the hotel industry that will help you grow your hotel business.
Technology Supporting Smoother Hotel Operations
Managing a hotel is no longer chaotic or challenging, thanks to modern technology and software sophistication.
Systems like property management software and revenue management system for hotels are increasingly being adopted.
Such software helps in providing a hassle-free booking experience for the guests. Moreover, it allows your staff to be more efficient.
Focus on Improved Guest Experience
Providing a great customer experience is imperative for any hotel. Luckily, there are a number of ways to enhance the customer experience – right from booking a hotel room to checking out.
- Use apps that can help customers search and book hotel rooms instantly.
- Use artificial intelligence, cloud-based technology and data to understand your guests and their preferences better. This will allow you to cater to their likes and dislikes.
- Offer them a self-check-in and check-out experience that minimizes waiting time at the reception. Face recognition, check-in via apps, smartphone keys or check-in wearable technology are some ideas that you can implement.
Tie-Ups with Online Travel Agencies
Travelers are increasingly using online travel agencies to book hotels. The trend of customers using smartphones to book hotel rooms through online travel agencies will continue.
A single customer checks numerous travel agency websites before booking a room. Travel agencies must come up with innovative strategies to attract the customers and ensure they make a direct booking through them.
Hotels must tie-up with online travel agencies. The agencies take a reasonable percentage of commission from the hotels if the rooms are booked through them. At the same time, they offer great deals to the customers. This helps in increased hotel bookings.
Attracting Guests Using Technology
Technology has become critical in attracting guests. You can use technology in different ways:
- Use chatbots to handle customer inquiries and to give quick responses
- Allow direct bookings through apps or even chatbots
- Use hotel booking platforms and search engines to increase hotel exposure and bookings
- Analyze big data to understand the customer better and identify their preferences, which you can then offer as an add-on. This will encourage more customers to book with you instead of your competitors.
A major fraction of travelers comprises of millennials – who are those between the ages of 18 and 34. This demographic will continue to dominate the travel space. Therefore, hotels must target millennials and strive to offer them a better experience.
Millennials are very active on social media and share their travel experiences in real-time. If you provide them excellent in-room features or unique cultural or dining experiences, they will promote your hotel on social media. This will boost your business.
Focusing on the above-mentioned trends will enable a hotelier to drive profit and business growth. Moreover, it will also help you stand apart from the crowd.