San Miguel de Allende, Mexico - June 11, 2012: Hotel Matilda (www.hotelmatilda.com) and Mexico's most recognized chef, Enrique Olvera, have entered into a partnership that brings his internationally acclaimed culinary skills and techniques to the hotel to create a world-class dining experience.
Chef Olvera is now responsible for the operation of the hotel restaurant, Moxi (http://moxi.com.mx), and the hotel lounge, Bar Matilda. He is currently revamping both, including creating new restaurant, bar and wine menus. As of June 21, a new culinary era will be launched at Hotel Matilda and in San Miguel de Allende when Chef Olvera's cuisine is served for the first time.
"We are thrilled to join forces with Chef Enrique and introduce a level of culinary sophistication to San Miguel de Allende that previously could only be found in Mexico City," said Hotel Matilda Director Bruce James. "From the beginning, refined, innovative Mexican cuisine has been our culinary emphasis at Hotel Matilda, and now with Chef Enrique on board we are taking our dining experience to the highest international standard."
Chef Olvera has received numerous prestigious awards and is recognized not only as Mexico's leading chef but as one of the best in the world. In 2011, his Mexico City restaurant, Pujol (www.pujol.com.mx/), made the coveted San Pellegrino list of 'The World's 50 Best Restaurants' at #49. When the new 2012 list came out, Pujol had advanced 13 places to #36.
On June 15, Chef Olvera will be hosting a special dining event at Moxi for a limited number of VIP guests. Seats will be auctioned to the highest bidders for an historic first dinner to be created and served by Chef Olvera at Hotel Matilda's Moxi restaurant. For more information contact Sandra Vasquez, event and marketing director, firstname.lastname@example.org.
After completing his studies at New York's Culinary Institute of America, Enrique Olvera returned to Mexico and opened Pujol in 2000. The awards and recognition that followed have been unprecedented.
- In 2004, at age 27, he received Catadores magazine's "Chef of the Year" award.
- In 2005, and again in 2007, he received the "Young Restaurateur's" award from Mexico's National Chamber for the Restaurant and Prepared Foods Industry.
- Chilango magazine has given him the "Chilango (Mexico City Resident) of the Year" award on many occasions, as well as "Chef of the Decade" in 2009 and "Mexico City's Best Restaurant" for Pujol in 2011.
- Expansión, Mexico's most important business publication, named him to the list of "Thirty Most Talented Mexicans" in 2009
- GQ México in 2009 named him one of the "15 Men of the Year."
- Food & Wine described Olvera in 2010 as one of the "10 Most Promising Figures in World Cuisine."
- In 2010, Starchefs.com named him to their list of the "Top Ten International Figures in World Gastronomy."
- In 2010, and again in 2011, Quién magazine named him one of the "Fifty People Who Move Mexico."
- In 2011, he was included in the book Uno + Uno as one of "32 Leaders Who Make Mexico What It Is."
- In 2011, Travel & Leisure recognized Olvera with its "Best Tasting Menu" and "Best of the Best" prizes in its special "Gourmet Awards" issue.
- In 2011, when Pujol was named to the prestigious San Pellegrino List of "The World's 50 Best Restaurants," this was the first time a Mexican restaurant with a Mexican chef received the honor. Pujol made the list in 2011 at #49, and then in 2012 moved up 13 places to #36.
Hotel Matilda offers the only contemporary, avant-garde experience in colonial-themed San Miguel de Allende. The boutique hotel caters to the lifestyle of today's traveler with designer rooms and suites, an award-winning holistic spa, a popular lounge known for its creative mixology, and a vibrant, art gallery-like ambiance filled with dramatic contemporary art. Hotel Matilda opened in September 2010 in the center of San Miguel de Allende, the crown jewel of Colonial Mexico that is an UNESCO World Heritage Site celebrated for its intact 500-year-old Spanish architecture, charming Old World ambience and art schools that draw budding artists from many countries. San Miguel de Allende is located in the central highlands of Mexico about a three-hour drive from Mexico City. American, Aeromexico and Continental airlines fly from the U.S. to Leon/Guanajuato Airport, which is a 1.5- hour drive from San Miguel de Allende. Hotel Matilda can arrange airport transfers. For more information and reservations: toll free 855-MATILDA (855-628-4532) or email@example.com