|By Allison Schaefers, The Honolulu
Star-AdvertiserMcClatchy-Tribune Regional News
Jan. 14, 2012--Masako McCarter, an administrative assistant at The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort, has received the lodging industry's top annual award.
The Hawaii Lodging & Tourism Association recognized McCarter and 24 other honorees during its 22nd annual Na Po'e Pa'ahana awards luncheon Friday at the Sheraton Waikiki.
Selection of HLTA's award recipients is based on nominations submitted by their supervisors and co-workers. Honorees must show exceptional service to hotel guests, co-workers and the community.
"Masako McCarter is a kind soul, whose integrity and generosity comes though in everything she does," wrote Kelly Hoen, general manager of the Royal Hawaiian Hotel, who nominated McCarter for the award. "Her selfless service to the Royal Hawaiian, its guests and the people of Hawai'i comes from the heart and is inspired by the gratitude she has in her own life. She loves people and considers it an honor to be able to help them."
Mufi Hannemann, HLTA president and chief executive, congratulated McCarter and others during the event, which was attended by about a thousand guests.
"Our winners and finalists are an example of the thousands of employees that make Hawaii so special," Hannemann said.
Roy Yokoyama of the Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort and Spa and Chris Kasha of the Moana Surfrider, a Westin Resort and Spa, were selected as the second- and third-place winners, respectively, in the same category as McCarter.
First-place honorees in other categories included Ronald Casallo of The Westin Maui Resort and Spa, who was named bell/valet person of the year. Richard Coloso of the Grand Wailea was named the year's top engineering/maintenance person. Guy Becicka of The Westin Maui Resort and Spa was recognized as the year's top food and beverage person. Hiroe Yanagisawa of The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort, was named front office person of the year. The Hilton Hawaiian Village's Marylou Raquel took first place in the housekeeper of the year category. Lynette Eastman of the Aqua Waikiki Wave and Waikiki Pearl was named manager of the year. The Sheraton Keauhou Bay Resort and Spa's Larry Triplett took the top honor in the security officer of the year category.
HLTA also honored Bank of Hawaii as its allied member of the year.
Outstanding Lodging Employee of the Year
1. Masako McCarter, The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort. 2. Roy Yokoyama, Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort and Spa. 3. Chris Kiaha, Moana Surfrider, a Westin Resort and Spa.
Bell/Valet Person of the Year
1. Ronald Casallo, The Westin Maui Resort and Spa. 2. Chad Nakamura, The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort. 3. Kaimi Kaneholani, St. Regis Princeville Resort.
Engineering/Maintenance Person of the Year
1. Richard Coloso, Grand Wailea. 2. Nelson Galano, Sheraton Maui Resort and Spa. 3. Virgilio Ganal, Moana Surfrider, a Westin Resort and Spa.
Food & Beverage Person of the Year
1. Guy Becicka, The Westin Maui Resort and Spa. 2. Terry Harris, Wailea Beach Marriott Resort and Spa. 3. Philipina Flores, Mauna Lani Bay Hotel and Bungalows.
Front Office Person of the Year
1. Hiroe Yanagisawa, The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort. 2. Michelle Aquino, Ka'anapali Beach Hotel. 3. Brad Momohara, Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club.
Housekeeper of the Year
1. Marylou Raquel, Hilton Hawaiian Village. 2. Shufen Ng, Waikiki Resort Hotel. 3. Cristiana Mamuad, Outrigger Reef on the Beach.
Manager of the Year
1. Lynette Eastman, Aqua Waikiki Wave and Waikiki Pearl. 2. Kelly Zane, Sheraton Waikiki. 3. Brendan Tsukiyama, The Westin Maui Resort and Spa.
Security Officer of the Year
1. Larry Triplett, Sheraton Keauhou Bay Resort and Spa. 2. Matthew Neely, Sheraton Waikiki. 3. Harvey Keanoano, Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort and Spa.
Allied Member of the Year
Bank of Hawaii
(c)2012 The Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Visit The Honolulu Star-Advertiser at www.staradvertiser.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services