|By Amanda Finnegan, Las Vegas
SunMcClatchy-Tribune Regional News
June 15, 2011--The Plaza Hotel and Casino in downtown Las Vegas will reopen to guests Sept. 1 after an extensive overhaul of the 40-year-old property.
The hotel-casino closed in September 2010 for a renovation of the casino, restaurants and more than 1,000 hotel rooms.
The Plaza's rooms have been refurbished with new wall coverings, furnishings, floors and fixtures, all purchased at a discounted price from the halted Fontainebleau project on the Strip.
The Plaza website is taking reservations for the reopening, with rates starting at $44 for a standard room, but as high as $119 for some weekends in September.
Prior to its grand reopening, the Plaza will host a soft opening on Aug. 24 for its casino.
When the property temporarily closed in September, it left about 400 employees out of work. A spokeswoman for the property said the Plaza will be launching a hiring effort to attract new employees while also bringing back some former employees. More information is expected to be announced later this month.
The Plaza is run by Anthony Santo, who is a consultant for Tamares, the landlord of the Plaza, the Western and the Las Vegas Club hotel-casinos. Santo gained control of the properties in August 2010.
One thing not returning to the Plaza is Firefly, a tapas restaurant formerly located in the glass dome overlooking Fremont Street. Firefly owner John Simmons said last week the restaurant wasn't "making any money."
To see more of the Las Vegas Sun go to http://www.lasvegassun.com
Copyright (c) 2011, Las Vegas Sun
Distributed by McClatchy-Tribune Information Services. For more information about the content services offered by McClatchy-Tribune Information Services (MCT), visit www.mctinfoservices.com.