|January 2011 - With the world having rung
in a new decade, new data
shows that American travelers are readying to discover one of the
fastest-growing trip topics for the New Year and beyond: vacation
condos and villas.
Following are 11 reasons vacation rentals will be front-of-mind in the years to come, according to the experts of the nonprofit Discover Vacation Homes initiative and resource, found online at http://www.DiscoverVacationHomes.com:
1. BOOMING INTEREST: More than 25 million American households are interested in staying in a vacation home rental or condominium resort as an alternative to traditional lodging during the next two years, which represents nearly half of leisure traveler households across the U.S.*
2. EXPONENTIAL GROWTH: According to recent research, 20 percent of leisure travelers have stayed in a vacation home rental as an alternative to a traditional lodging during the past two years, and 22 percent have stayed in a condominium resort.* This shows an increase compared to past years, according to similar studies with differing methodologies. For example, in 2009, 14 percent of leisure travelers had stayed in a vacation home or condominium that they owned or rented during the previous 12 months, which was up from 11 percent in 2008.**
3. MORE OVERNIGHT TRIPS PLANNED IN 2011: Of those interested in vacation rental stays during the next two years, nearly two in 10 are planning to travel more in the year ahead compared to 2010. Almost seven in 10 plan to take the same amount of vacations, suggesting together that 83 percent of upcoming vacation rental travelers are optimistic about the number of trips they’ll be planning.*
4. MORE BANG FOR THE TRAVEL BUCK: Americans will continue to seek out more value in exchange for what they pay through 2011,* which is why vacation rentals are growing as an attractive option. Some three-bedroom rentals sleep up to eight people versus one or two, and include amenities like fully equipped kitchens, game rooms, private pools/hot tubs, in-home fireplaces, free Internet access and more.
5. MEETING DEMANDS FOR QUALITY TIME: As the Great Recession continues into its third year, 86 percent of travelers agree “these difficult times have helped me to focus on the things that matter most in my life,” which for many translates into a renewed focus on family and friends. Trips taken with friends, children, grandparents and extended family represent one of the only consistently rising types of travel. As this “togethering” trend continues, Americans are selecting vacation rentals for convenient multi-bedroom accommodations and a sense of comfort under one roof.
6. EASIER TO FIND, BOOK VACATION RENTALS ONLINE: For the millions of travelers who go online when planning travel, booking a vacation rental has evolved into a convenient and secure process, as many professional vacation rental companies and websites offer secure Internet reservations systems, as well as photos, video tours, amenities and guest reviews of individual homes. Guests can often save time with immediate online availability and confirmations. All of the companies listed at http://www.DiscoverVacationHomes.com subscribe to a Code of Ethics and Practices in the management and renting of vacation properties.
7. FAMILY REUNIONS TRENDING: Family reunions have seen huge growth in recent years, a trend that’s expected to continue in 2011. Approximately three in 10 travelers named it as a type of celebratory trip taken during the past year.* As reunions grow in popularity, so go vacation rentals as a top choice for group lodging.
8. WORD OF MOUTH: The recommendations of friends and family top the list of Americans’ most trusted information sources,* and the word is out; nearly nine in 10 past vacation rental guests said they would recommend the lodging option to friends or relatives.***
9. WEEKENDS MADE EASY: As the habits and preferences of travelers change, the vacation rental category has adapted, as well. With nearly three-quarters of travelers having taken weekend trips in the past year,* guests seeking a two- or three-night getaway can often find rental companies with flexible, little to no minimum stay requirements – especially in the off-season, when booking last-minute or even in specific rental properties.
10. NEW GUEST SERVICES AND SPECIALS TO BE FOUND: From new wedding coordination offerings to new properties, exclusive attractions privileges, travel deals, added values and beyond, professional vacation rental managers across North America, the Caribbean and Central America are providing new ways for travelers to enjoy the vacation rental experience.
11. AVOIDING AIRLINE BAGGAGE FEES: With ever-changing restrictions and added airline costs for taking a vacation, travelers are considering ways to pack less and, ultimately, spend less. Professionally managed vacation rentals often come equipped with in-home washers and dryers, free laundry detergent and bath-and-body amenities. Having such perks under travelers’ own vacation rental roof can allow them to pack half as many items.
*Ypartnership/Harrison Group 2010 Portrait of American Travelers(SM)
**Ypartnership/Yankelovich, Inc. 2009 National Leisure Travel MONITOR(SM)
***PhoCusWright – Vacation Rental Marketplace: Poised for Change
About Discover Vacation Homes
Discover Vacation Homes is the trusted public voice and an expert resource on behalf of the professionally managed vacation rental industry. As the awareness initiative of the VRMA, it represents approximately 150,000 rental homes, condos and villas from more than 500 of the most well established vacation rental management companies in North America and the Caribbean. Often costing less than other lodging alternatives, vacation rentals afford travelers an accommodations lifestyle unlike any other, providing considerably more space, amenities, guest services and privacy.
Y P A R T N E R S H I P
423 South Keller Road, Suite 100
Orlando, FL 32810
T 407.838.1829 M 727.420.8395 F 407.875.1115
Internet Allows for Endless Alternatives to a Hotel Room; Rental Homes,
Apartments, Condos, Bed-and-breakfasts Time-Shares, Home Exchanges Now
a Cinch to Research and Reserve / April 2010