(October 3, 2013, New York, NY) Tanzania Tourist Board (TTB) announced the 2013 winners of the annual TTB Tourism awards. Hon. Amb. Khamis Kagasheki, Minister of Natural Resources and Tourism joined by Hon. Amb. Liberata Mulamula, Tanzania Ambassador to the United States presented awards to three of the honorees at the Africa Travel Association (ATA) eighth annual Presidential Forum held at New York University.
The three honorees who received the TTB Award in New York were:
Elite Traveler Magazine received the Tanzania Tourist Board Luxury Travel Media Award for extensive coverage of Tanzania including the Serengeti Migration being named as one of the top African safaris. Tova Syrowicz, Travel Editor, accepted on behalf of Elite Traveler Magazine.
African Travel, Inc. received the Tanzania Tourist Board Tour Operator Southern/ Western Circuit Award in recognition of their stand-alone safaris to the Southern/Western circuit of Tanzania which include many of Tanzania's hidden gems such as Katavi and Ruaha National Park. David Schwenk, Sales Manager for North East, accepted on behalf of African Travel, Inc.
Africa Adventure Consultants, a Colorado-based tour operator, won the Tanzania Tourist Board Tour Operator Product Development Award in recognition of offering 34 Tanzania-only itineraries, including the "In Livingstone's Footsteps" series; representing a 36% increase from 2012. Kent Redding, President, accepted on behalf of Africa Adventure Consultants.
The Awards program was created in 2000 to recognize and show appreciation to the travel professionals and media who have worked hard promoting and selling Tanzania in the US market, as well as to provide an incentive to increase the numbers even more in the coming years. TTB selected the Annual Africa Travel Presidential Forum to present the awards to show support for ATA's ever expanding global reach in promoting tourism to the Continent of Africa.
Full List of Tanzania Tourist Board Award Winners 2013
1. Business Travel Media Award- Premier Traveler Magazine
2. Luxury Travel Media Award- Elite Traveler Magazine
3. Tour Operator Southern/ Western Circuit Award- African Travel, Inc.
4. Tour Operator Product Development Award- Infinite Safari Adventures
5. Tour Operator Product Development Award- Africa Adventure Consultants
6. Supporting Local Airline Award- Precision Air
7. Hotels/Lodges/Camp Sustainable Tourism Award- andBeyond
8. Supporting International Airline Award- Qatar Airways
9. Tour Operator Humanitarian Award- African Environments
10. Tour Operator Southern/ Western Circuit Award- Foxes Safari Camps
11. Supporting Local Charter Company Award- Coastal Aviation
12. Lodges Tourism Promotion Award- Serena Hotels
13. Hotels Tourism Promotion Award- Southern Sun Hotels
14. Journalist Award- Apolinario Tairo
15. Blog Award- Tembea Tanzania
16. Supporting Local Media House Award- Channel 10
Tanzania, the largest country in East Africa, is focused on wildlife conservation and sustainable tourism, with approximately 28% of the land protected by the Government, the largest percentage of any country in the world. It boasts 16 National Parks and 31 game reserves, 50 Game Controlled Areas, one special Conservation Area (the Ngorongoro) and three Marine Parks. It is home to the tallest mountain in Africa, the legendary Mt. Kilimanjaro; The Serengeti, home to the "Great Animal Migration" that was named the New 7th Wonder of the World by USA Today and ABC TV's Good Morning America; the world acclaimed Ngorongoro Crater, often referred to as the "Eden of Africa" and the "8th Wonder of the World"; Olduvai Gorge, the cradle of mankind: the Selous, the world's largest game reserve; Ruaha, now the second largest National Park in Africa; the spice islands of Zanzibar; and seven UNESCO World Heritage Sites. Most important for visitors, the Tanzanian people, with a rich history and diverse blend of cultures, are warm and friendly. Tanzania, an oasis of peace and stability with a democratically elected and stable government, celebrated its 50th Anniversary of Independence in 2011.
For more information on Tanzania, visit www.tanzaniatourism.go.tz.
Contact: Karen Hoffman/ Chanel LeMond of The Bradford Group