|ST. MORITZ, Switzerland - March 25, 1999--The Badrutt's
Palace Hotel in St. Moritz, Switzerland, has chosen Rosewood Hotels Resorts
as its management partner. With a hotel unique in its standards of service,
its illustrious history and traditions, Hansjurg, Aniko and Johannes Badrutt
sought a worthy hotel management company to handle this century-old treasure.
Rosewood will assume management within the next 30 days and is planning
renovations, all of which will adhere to the original vision of the Badrutts
- the Swiss hotelier family renowned for delivering European hospitality
at the highest level.
"Our selection of Rosewood Hotels Resorts is the result of intensive
research and represents a conscious choice for a hotel management firm
whose name stands for luxury hospitality worldwide," said Hansjurg Badrutt,
proprietor of Badrutt's Palace Hotel.
"Extraordinary service and remarkable attention to detail are the characteristics
that best describe the philosophy of our new partner. In this alliance,
we will uphold the tradition of Swiss hospitality and ensure that the grandeur
of the past and the most modern of
amenities will be harmoniously combined, now and in the future."
"Badrutt's Palace Hotel and Rosewood have entered into an alliance from
which both partners, the region of St. Moritz and the hotel guests will
benefit," said Philip F. Maritz, chairman of Rosewood Hotels Resorts.
"Rosewood will provide substantial investments and each of the individual
Rosewood Hotels throughout the world will function as an ambassador for
the Palace Hotel." Maritz is co-founder and President of the investment
firm Maritz, Wolff Co, which formed a joint venture with Rosewood
Hotels Resorts in 1997.
Badrutt's Palace Hotel has 234 rooms and suites, as well as unrivaled
cuisine. Badrutt's Palace Hotel has eight restaurants and guests can choose
between two bars and three nightclubs for evening entertainment.
Mile stones in the history of the Badrutt's
1856 Johannes Badrutt buys the boarding-house "Faller" (12
Beds) in St. Moritz and dismantles it successfully to his hotel "Engadiner
1864 He brings the first tourists in wintertime to St. Moritz
and starts so the alpine to tourism.
1883 Caspar Badrutt buys the "Beau Rivage" (original building
on the Palace site) from Giacom Rungger.
1892 Caspar Badrutt contracts the architects Chiodera &
Tschudi from Zurich for the construction of the main building with its
original tower; ground is broken and foundations laid the same year.
1896 Opening of the Palace on July 29.
1898 Caspar Badrutt calls back from abroad his son Hans, who
joins in the management of the hotel.
1904 Caspar Badrutt dies, his son Hans takes over sole ownership
1907/ 08 Hans Badrutt adds two floors to the main building.
1913 Construction of the Main Dining-Room - Wing with the
first indoor tennis courts on the continent and shops.
1914-18 War years with practically no guests from abroad,
which results in financial difficulties.
1919 The Palace becomes a joint-stock company, however with
Hans Badrutt holding complete majority.
1920-28 Gradually seasons become better, summer as well as
winter the "Roaring Twenties"! Record year in 1928 when the Winter Olympics
are held for the first time in St. Moritz.
1928 Construction of the Grill-Room and Bar and a Mezzanine
Floor above them.
1929 Wall Street stock market crash, which starts to affect
the business of the Palace seriously in the following years. With the Dollar
and Pound devalued, another stretch of difficult years are in stall until
the Swiss Franc is devaluated by 40% in 1936 and London as well as Wall
Street start to recover.
1935/36 After having bought the "Chesa Veglia" (in 1928) an
original Engadine farmhouse dating back to the middle of the 17th century
in order to save it from demolition, Hans Badrutt then sells it, buys
it back again and starts its transformation to the present-day restaurant.
1936- 39 Short period of boom before outbreak of World war
ll, when all international travel comes practically to a standstill. Andrea
Badrutt comes into the business.
1946- 48 First recovery after the war years with the British
coming for winter sports, gradually also Italians and Americans returning
in strength. 2nd Olympic games in 1948.
1953 Hans Badrutt dies; his wife Helene takes over the hotel
with help of Andrea Badrutt
1953-67 Several major redecoration programmes in all parts
of the house. Despite great shiftings in the political order and social
classes worldwide, continuous growth of business, especially in winter,
mainly due to the "skiing explosion".
1960 Andrea and also Hansjürg Badrutt were getting married.
Helene dies. The two brothers are running the house
1963 Opening of the "King’s Club", as one of the two first
discotheques in Switzerland.
1967 On June 7th tower completely destroyed by fire.
1968 Tower and West-Wing reconstructed.
1969- 70 Construction of the Acapulco complex with indoor
pool, bar-restaurant, health center and luxury apartments. Construction
of annexe-building "Neue Alpenrose".comprising shopping arcade, underground
garage and staff accommodation
1973-78 The booming years gradually give way to a moderate
but persistent recession due to the oil crises, dollar devaluation, a too-strong
1979 Return to upwards trend. Various major renovations and
rationalisation behind the scenes. (Kitchen area costs 5 Mio. Swissfrancs)
1980 Andrea Badrutt retires from the day-to-day operation
of the hotel, yet remains active as a director of the company. With a new
board and new management, long-term strategies and projects are being developed,
which will permit the company to successfully tackle the problems of the
decade to come.
1981-84 Construction of a luxurious extension to the existing
hotel, which is called Suot Mulin. Situated at one of nicest locations
in St. Moritz, Suot Mulin is fully integrated into the Acapulco pool complex
and compris a limited number of condominiums as well as numerous sports
and health facilities. Architecture by Joseph Troxler.
1990-92 Reconstruction of the legendary Palace tower. Faithful
to history, architect Arnd Küchel restored the original three floors
to bring back the "ivory tower" atmosphere inside the apartment.
1992 By the torn of the millennium, a large new extension
is to be built on the "Serletta" site between the Palace and the Chesa
Veglia. The project includes a five-storey underground parking garage as
well as the new casino and apartments. The beginning of construction depends
on public approval of the zoning plan by St. Moritz voters.
1984-94 Invest of totally 44 Mio. Swissfrancs
1995 Installation of a new telephone system (the most modern
hotel telephone system in Europe)
1996 100 years Badrutt’s Palace Hotel.
"We are very happy about the enhancement of our hotel collection with
the addition of this traditional and glamorous European luxury hotel,"
said Jim Brown, president and chief operating officer of Rosewood Hotels
Resorts. "We are proud to have Hansjurg Badrutt and his family from this
unique hotel dynasty by our side to set the future course, enabling The
Palace Hotel to maintain its sovereign position as one of the leading luxury
hotels of the world in the coming century."
Rosewood Hotels Resorts,
headquartered in Dallas, Texas, manages 13 properties on five continents
worldwide, including The Mansion on Turtle Creek in Dallas, The Lanesborough
in London, and Las Ventanas al Paraiso in Los Cabos, Mexico. Each Rosewood
property is preeminent in its region, and artfully designed with local
inspiration to create a distinctive sense of place. Throughout its twenty-year
history, Rosewood has delighted guests - and elevated hospitality to a
new level - by providing discreet, personal service and demonstrating remarkable
attention to detail.