News for the Hospitality Executive
July 2012 - TripAdvisor announced the results
of its annual beach and pool etiquette survey of more than 1,400 U.S.
travelers, revealing that 83 percent of respondents believe people
often violate some form of beach or pool etiquette, up from 74 percent
in 2011. Thirty-one percent have asked a stranger to stop behaving
rudely at the beach or pool, up from 26 percent last year.
"Reserving" Chairs: an Unwelcome Practice
- 84 percent get agitated when others save beach or pool chairs by leaving belongings on them.
- 37 percent maintain there should be a 30-minute limit on seating being saved, while a further 30 percent will tolerate up to one hour - and just 14 percent think chair hogging for any longer than that is acceptable.
- 19 percent maintain that saving chairs should not be allowed for any time period.
Personal Space on the Sand
- The closest acceptable distance to sit next to another stranger at a crowded beach is three feet, according to 27 percent - while a further 26 percent set a boundary of six feet, and 15 percent say four feet meets their comfort levels.
- On non-crowded sands, 34 percent consider 20 feet to be the closest acceptable distance to sit next to a fellow beach-goer, while 24 percent say seven to ten feet is appropriate, and 18 percent say 11 to 14 feet.
Travelers Oppose Waterside Smoking and Shower-Skipping
- 89 percent think smoking at the pool should be prohibited.
- 69 percent think that smoking at the beach should not be allowed.
- 35 percent consider it a breach of etiquette not to rinse off before entering the pool - although 80 percent confess to not always doing so.
TripAdvisor, Inc. (NASDAQ: TRIP) manages and operates websites under 19 other travel media brands, and together the sites attract more than 69 million unique monthly visitors**. TripAdvisor’s travel media brands include www.airfarewatchdog.com, www.bookingbuddy.com, www.cruisecritic.com, www.everytrail.com, www.familyvacationcritic.com, www.flipkey.com, www.holidaylettings.co.uk, www.holidaywatchdog.com, www.independenttraveler.com, www.onetime.com, www.seatguru.com, www.sniqueaway.com, www.smartertravel.com, www.tingo.com, www.travel-library.com, www.travelpod.com, www.virtualtourist.com, www.whereivebeen.com, and www.kuxun.cn.
*Source: comScore Media Metrix for TripAdvisor Sites, Worldwide, May2012
**Source: comScore Media Metrix for TripAdvisor Inc. and its subsidiaries, Worldwide, May 2012
©2012 TripAdvisor, Inc. All rights reserved.
Oblivious to Beach and Pool Etiquette; Number 1 Annoyance - Blasting
Loud Music / TripAdvisor Survey / June 2011
Often Violate Some Form of Pool or Beach Etiquette; Number 1 Annoyance
- Hogging Poolside or Beachside Chairs / TripAdvisor Survey / July
|What's Hot in Future Travel Trends and Destinations: 2009 TripAdvisor-Survey / October 2008|
|The Top 10 Hippest Hotels for the Fashion Foward in the World / TripAdvisor Survey / September 2008|